Loving all things velvet this Holiday Season and want to find a way to incorporate the soft matte look and texture of velvet into your ornaments? I have all the details to create these inexpensive DIY Velvet Ornaments!
S U P P L Y L I S T :
- Ornaments with a smooth surface. I used these clear ornaments from Hobby Lobby but you could really use any ornament you have on hand with a smooth surface.
- Sponge brush
- Paper Plates or sections of thick paper cut into large squares
- Cake pop sticks, skewers or straws
- Box with holes the size of sticks
- Emobssing Powder. This powder is found in the scrapbooking section near the wax seals. I used White, Princess Gold and Black but there is a huge variety of colors available.
- Clear Matte Sealer Spray Paint
- Velvet Ribbon or Hooks for Hanging
P R O C E S S :
Remove tops of ornaments and set aside to paint if necessary. Since the tops of my ornaments were silver, I painted them gold using Rub’nBuff.
Insert Skewer into ornament and secure with one hand while brushing Modpodge over the entire surface.
Sprinkle the embossing powder over the surface and shake off excess. Be sure to add a paper plate or large piece of heavy weight kraft paper under the work area to catch excess embossing powder and return it to the container for future use. I made 8 ornaments and used ~1/4 of each of the 3 colors so I have lots left for future projects!
Keep the ornament on the skewer and place in the precut holes on a box or piece of styrofoam to allow the ornaments to fully dry.
Once fully dry, move the entire box with with ornaments outside and add a light coat of Clear Matte Spray Paint. When painting, make sure the ornaments are spread out far enough to prevent the powder from the other ornaments transferring onto each other. You can see in the pictures that some of the gold powder was transferred to the black ornaments when I sealed, but I actually liked the look so I was ok with it!
After replacing your tops on the ornaments, you can add velvet ribbon or traditional ornament hooks.
I love the way these turned out and I hope you enjoy them too! Please be sure to tag me on social media or send me a message if you try them! I’d love to see your creations!! I have a short video of the process that you can watch on Instagram here.
Thanks for sharing velvet ornaments. I love this idea and I’m a decorator for Festival of trees and I’m always looking for new few ideas. Merry Christmas